Saturday, October 9, 2010

Challenge 1: The Apple of My Eye.

I am the most hopeless cook in the world: I burn meat, create cupcakes that resemble boulders and can't use a rolling pin to save my life! With this in mind, I chose to bake a 1950s favourite: Apple Pie, for my housework challenge.

Here is the recipe I was given by Grandma:


INGREDIENTS:
2 quantities of pie dough.
150g unsalted butter.
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
1.5kg cored and peeled green apples.
200g caster sugar.
1 egg mixed with a little milk.

a 23 cm pie dish- greased.

METHOD:

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll on quantity of dough. Line the pie dish, trimming the edges.
3. Melt butter and cinnamon in a large saucepan.
4. Add apples and stir until well coated in butter.
5. Add the sugar and mix until apples are softened but not completely cooked. Cool mixture completely.
6. Pour mixture into pie dish, covering with rolled dough. Put three slits through pie lid.
7. Make decorative leaf shapes from pastry trimming and decorate pie. Brush with egg and milk wash and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.

Doesn't sound too difficult does it? Watch me attempting the challenge below:







THE FINISHED PRODUCT:

Overall, I was pretty impressed with my pie making skills. This was de
finitely one of my most successful cooking attempts- and I only set the smoke alarm off twice!




No comments:

Post a Comment