Sunday, October 10, 2010

Challenge 3: A Stitch in Time.

My Grandma, to this day, still knits beanies, gloves, hats and scarves. I have a whole box at home of the crazy creations she's made for my sister and I over the years: pom-pomed hats, knitted bags, butterfly fridge magnets and tonnes of those 'feather wool' scarved that were all the rage a few years ago.

So, for my final 50s challenge, I decided to ask my own mother ( who Grandma taught to knit when she was a little girl) to test her patience and teach me how to knit a single square. Doesn't sound too difficult really... have a look at what happened.




THE FINAL PRODUCT: This challenge gave a new meaning to the phrase "cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye"! I was terrible at knitting and stuffed up more times than I'm willing to mention. My square took about 5 hours to produce and was still full of holes. I have a new appreciation of the skills and patience of the 1950s housewife because if my children relied on my skills they would be going to school either freezing cold from the holes in their gloves or completely naked!



No comments:

Post a Comment